Once again, the rumors of a pumpkin shortage have been proven false. Whew! Now, if only I could find Topo Chico mineral water consistently.
What to do with your prized Libby can this holiday season? Want to be more original than pie? Bring this delicious (very rich) Pumpkin Cauliflower Gratin to any gathering and you will be the most popular person at the party. Source: People Magazine, a long time ago. Chef contributor: Tieghan Gerard.
2 Tbsp Salted Butter
1 Sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup canned pumpkin
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
8 oz shredded Gruyere cheese (about 2 cups)
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets and core finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Caramelize onion in butter for about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir for about 30 more seconds.
- Slowly stir in pumpkin and cream, bringing to a boil. Whisk about 1 minute more.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in cayenne, salt, and pepper
- Stir in 1 ¼ cups of the cheese.
- Add cauliflower to mix and stir to coat.
- Top the mix with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.
You are welcome.