What is it about fall that makes me think of apples? Caramel apples for Halloween? Remembering the Peanuts characters bobbing for apples in The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown? That was a gross activity always, likely never to be done again post-COVID.
Whatever the reason, cooler temperatures have me craving Linda Slaughter’s Apple Cake. So easy and it disappears within 24 hours of baking it. Ghosts? No, teenagers!
Linda Slaughter’s Apple Cake
• Mix together 2 beaten eggs, 2 cups sugar and 1 ¼ cup vegetable oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
• Sift and Add to the above: 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and one teaspoon backing soda.
• Add 3 cups chopped apples (skin on) and 1 cup chopped pecans
• Press batter into a 9×13 inch pan or 2 cake pans. It will be stiff – I use a piece of wax paper for this.
• Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.
Excellent with whipped cream or Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!