According to a survey of 5,000 people by GoBankingRates in 2016 the top five New Year’s Resolutions were:
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Live a Healthier Lifestyle
- Lose Weight
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Spend less, save more
In order to achieve Resolutions 2 and 3, many people joined a new gym in January. Unfortunately, that may not be the way to realize Resolution #5. Some interesting statistics from statisticbrain.com:
- Average cost of a gym membership: $58/month
- Amount of gym membership money that goes to waste from underutilization: $39/month
- Percent of people with gym memberships that never use them: 67%
Okay, so 43% of us are hitting the gym regularly/sporadically. Great! Enjoy your group sweat.
For those of you who are flushing $58/month down the drain, consider an investment in some modest home gym equipment would save you money and actually get used. After all, you don’t have to bundle up and drive on snowy roads to go to your basement and work out. Bonus, you can pick whatever music or TV you like to enjoy while pushing around the weights.
I never thought I’d be using a website called askmen.com as a source for my blogs, but here is a nice list of small, inexpensive home exercise equipment. Thanks, Men!
- Adjustable Dumbbells – starting at around $130 on Amazon
- Stretching Mat with Exercise Guide – $30
- Jump Rope – $7 – $20
- Resistance Bands – $15 – $30
- Core Training Wheels – $40
- Exercise Ball with Guide – $25